Update 1/16/14: Lindsay Wagner at NC Policy Watch reports that 40 local school boards have now joined the lawsuit. Read the full list here.
Chapel-Hill Carrboro and Lenoir County school boards have signed on as plantiffs in the NCSBA’s lawsuit challenging North Carolina’s new school voucher program. Both boards voted unanimously last week in favor of participating in the suit.
Via The Herald Sun:
“I think that this is the right fight to be in,” said CHCCS school board member Mike Kelley. “It’s the wrong policy. I think this is in our interest.”
In a unanimous vote during Thursday night’s meeting, the board approved a N.C. School Board Association resolution adding the district to the list of plaintiffs in the lawsuit against the state questioning the constitutionality of the private school vouchers as part of the state budget.
The Herald Sun – CHCCS joins suit against state over vouchers
The Kinston Free Press has more on Lenoir County:
The board voted unanimously to join the complaint at its Monday night meeting. Chairman Jon Sargeant voiced his opposition to the law and explained what the suit is.
“The thing that concerns me more than anything with this new law is, what they’ve said they are going to do is pay students to leave our public school system,” he said. “This particular lawsuit that we are being asked to join is not about whether it’s good policy or not. The lawsuit is about whether this law violates our state constitution and there are many parts of our constitution that prohibit public money from going to private institutions.”
Kinston Free Press – Private school discount?